Author Topic: Printers  (Read 4230 times)

Offline MartinAS

• Wine, not just a breakfast drink
    • View Profile
Printers
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
We take the picture and then what? Usually after a bit of sorting and tossing we go to a post program, Lightroom, Aperture (at least until Apple dumps it) Photoshop or something else. Then to the miracle of printing and deciding on paper/canvas type.

I am curious as to what printer(s) you use and why. ???

Personally I have gone through a number of Epsons over the years. In all cases I have opted to be able to refill in one form or another. The latest units were 2200, 2400 (thanks to comments from Peter Hartland) and then a 2880. I just sold that last year and have now a 3880 and am very impressed. ended up ordering carts from China and ink from Jon Cone at inkjetmall.com. Perfect match with Epson inks, no colour changes or need for new profiles. A couple of years back, on the old site, I said I was going to get a ColorMunki for profiling and report. i did not report. It has been a well worthwhile unit.

Anyway.... what do you do/use etc? :whistle

cheers :drink
Martin

Offline Graeme

• View Profile
Re: Printers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:51 PM »
I'm not a printer...if I need stuff printed I do it via an online service.

Graeme

Offline MartinAS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:13:51 PM »
Ok... thanks Graeme, understand your point. However there must be someone here who prints!!!
Gez, you are online as I write. What about you??
Martin >:D

Offline MartinAS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:15:43 PM »
OOPs
it looks like you ran as I was typing.... ::)

Offline Gez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 06:53:55 PM »
Hi Martin.... Ive been printing my own for about 12 years now and like you have always used Epson. Ive been using the 3800 for about 6 years or so, although there are a few issues with it now and will probably replace it with the 3880. I started by muddling along on my own but then went to a Terry Steeley workshop about 10 years ago which brought it on quite a bit. I dont know if you do much B&W but if you do then I would recommend looking at Eric Chans site as it is the most comprehensive guide to the 3800 and therefore the 3880. I believe he has developed some 3880 profiles for free download. It really is worth looking around the site when you have some time. I  use just the Epson inks now I am (hopefully) not quite so wasteful and generally the Epson Premiem glossy paper. The velvet fine art is a brilliant paper but pretty expensive. Im probably old fashioned in that I always think of the final product of a taking a photograph as a print. I have to run away again but would be interested on your thoughts on printing.
Regards
Gez

Offline Gypsy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »
I'm not a printer...if I need stuff printed I do it via an online service.

Graeme

Hi Graeme, would you mind sharing what online service you use?  I don't print at home anymore and have used DS Colour Labs but I was a bit disappointed with the last batch I had done.  However I can't fault them on price!
Jan