Author Topic: The photo I never took  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Gypsy

• View Profile
The photo I never took
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you have not taken a photo because it seemed inappropriate or insensitive?

On two occasions now I've had the opportunity to take a pretty powerful photo (in my opinion) but decided not to as it just didn't feel right.  The first time was when I was visiting my mother in hospital.  I had taken my camera in with me to show her some recent photographs. Whilst there she was sent for a scan so myself and my Dad stepped outside for some fresh air.  I still had my camera around my neck and within moments the air ambulance landed very close by.  The casualty was off loaded onto a trolley and as it was being rushed across to A&E (very near where we were standing)  a doctor was astride the casualty on top of the trolley performing CPR.  It was an incredible site and I could have photographed it but I couldn't bring myself to take the shot.  It felt so wrong.  I never knew if that person survived, I really hope they did.

The second occasion was when Mr. Gypsy and I were holidaying in Malta and were visiting Mosta church.  Photography inside the church wasn't restricted so there I was happily snapping away when suddenly I looked up to see a funeral procession making its way up the aisle.  Apparently funerals are not private there and we could have stayed throughout.  The very ornate coffin being carried was again an emotive site and would have made a strong image and once again I couldn't press the shutter.  We left immediately out of respect but other tourists seemed to linger.

Now then, my question is would you have behaved like me or would you have taken a photograph?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:18:52 PM by Gypsy »
Jan

Offline Pipeman

• Ron
    • View Profile
    • Ron Lord's World
Re: The photo I never took
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
I'm with you Jan, although I regret that many will not be.

There's a time and place for everything and seeing someone in distress is not a photo opportunity to me.

Many years ago - 52 to be accurate - we had a nasty car accident and as I sat comforting Carol in the back of the upturned car waiting for the ambulance an idiot poked his head through the window and took a photograph of us in distress.

I bet that he got a good shot but if I had got out of the car it would have cost him a beating.

Anyone interested in images of people in distress, perhaps excluding those taken in circumstances where the world NEEDS to know, needs to get a life.

After all these years I still feel very strongly about this topic.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:00:51 PM by Pipeman »
A bit like Victor Meldrew

Offline MartinAS

• Wine, not just a breakfast drink
    • View Profile
Re: The photo I never took
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
I am with you "gypsy'. There are times when the photo is not worth the uncomfit etc of the subject. What exactly do we want to do with a photo??

Martin